SMS Services enhance the security of internet banking and allow you to stay on top of your finances at any time using your mobile phone. You can register for SMS Services through Heritage online internet banking.
Heritage SMS Services provides you with the following options:
- SMS Security: a convenient, free service that provides a second level of authentication for certain internet banking transactions. When you register for SMS Services, SMS Security will automatically apply to your membership
- SMS Account Enquiries: an optional fee free* service, available to all customers who have registered for SMS Services, that allows you to access simple account information at any time
- SMS Alerts: an option available to all customers who have registered for SMS Services. SMS Alerts allow you to keep up to date by receiving alerts or emails based on certain actions that take place on your account
How to register for SMS Services
You can register for SMS Services through Heritage online internet banking. After you are logged into internet banking, choose the Security menu.
SMS Security provides a second level of authentication for certain internet banking actions.
It works on the premise that two components are needed: something that only you know (your login password), and something that only you have (your mobile phone). This concept is commonly referred to as "Two Factor Authentication".
If you are registered for SMS Security and perform an action on Heritage online that requires the second level of authentication, a One Time Password (OTP) code will be sent to your mobile phone via SMS. You will be required to enter this "code" on the relevant internet banking page, before the action is able to be processed. Current actions requiring the use of an OTP include:
- Transferring money to a new Heritage payee
- Transferring money to a new inter-bank payee
- Paying a bill to a "Special-Limit Biller" for the first time. A "Special-Limit Biller" is a BPAY Biller where money transferred to that Biller may be accessible as cash. e.g credits cards, sports betting accounts
- Updating your contact details
- Updating your SMS preferences
For customers who register for SMS services, SMS Security will replace your Pay Anyone password. For customers who do not wish to register for SMS services, there will be no changes to existing authentication, except that it will no longer be possible to update Contact Details online without SMS Security.
SMS Account Enquiries
SMS Account Enquiries is a convenient, fee free* way to access simple account information, wherever you are, whatever you are doing.
To keep things simple and secure, you only need to enter your account type. For example, to see the balance of your Simply Access account, SMS "bal S1" to 0428 427 427 (0428 HBS HBS).
Alternatively, if you're out and about, simply SMS "?" or the word "HELP" to 0428 427 427 to receive a list of valid enquiry codes.
If you need a refresher for the account codes that correspond to your accounts, simply login to Heritage internet banking and look at your Balances page (Accounts -> View All Accounts).
When you request account information from your mobile, Heritage determines the member number that the account belongs to by the mobile number from which the enquiry was received. Due to this, if you have multiple member numbers, each of your mobile phone numbers can only be registered once for SMS Account Enquiries.
SMS and email alerts
We want to make it easier for you to keep up to date with your finances. SMS and Email Alerts makes it even easier to keep track of significant actions on your accounts. When you register for SMS Services, you'll be able to choose from a set of defined alerts.
Then, when one of these alerts is triggered, you'll receive real-time notification, to your mobile phone or inbox. Alternatively, you can specify a time range during which you're happy to receive alerts. For example, you can set up an alert to let you know whenever a Visa Authorisation for more than $500 is processed, or when the balance of your transaction account falls below $10.
*Your phone provider may charge you for sending an SMS.